Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tips for Moving to France: Visas and Packing Ideas

I know this is not the most thrilling thing to write about but, as per mission #1 of this blog, I want to explain a few things that fellow Francophones-to-be may find useful. Do keep in mind that I was a Maryland resident and the process in your state may differ slightly. Click here to find your consulate.

  1. Start your planning process as soon as possible. I spent a long time trolling the internet and talking to people who had recently pulled off an international move. It seems overwhelming, but get as many opinions and as much advice as possible before you even settle on your decision. You may find that moving to France is not really a good idea for you at this particular moment and it will save you a lot of money and time if you figure that out BEFORE you go.
  2. You're up for the move, eh? If you're a US citizen going to France for any longer than 3 months, you will need a visa. There are several types of visas, as explained in detail here. The type of visa you get is determined by what you plan to do while you're in France. 
    • Work Visa: Unless there is someone in France who is trying to hire you or your current company has some sort of set up overseas and they are going to hook you up, you are probably NOT eligible for a work visa. You can't just roll into France and try to get a full time job if you don't have a work visa. Even if you did show up and somehow got a job (which is unlikely because you need your visa number to fill out any kind of hiring paperwork and to deposit money into a French bank account and for... anything...), you could be deported if you stay longer than three months without a visa. 
    • Long Stay Visitor Visa: This is for people who are just planning to go hang out in France for a while. You know, the Ernest Hemmingway types, who have inordinate amounts of time to "find themselves." As romantic as this sounds, it DOES NOT allow you to hold any kind of job while you are in France, so unless the amount of time you have to kill is equal to the amount of money you have to throw around, this may not be your best bet. If this sounds like what you want to do, be prepared to show proof that you got it like that: bring several current copies of your bank statements.
    • Student Visa: This is the route I took. It's fairly easy to acquire and it allows you to work up to 20 hours per week without getting in trouble with the immigration office.  You must apply to your school and be accepted before you can apply for your visa. Determine what you plan to study (in my case, French) and find schools that meet your needs. I also had to complete a profile on CampusFrance, which basically registers you as a student in the nation of France. There is a helpful step by step explanation of the student visa application here and more general information about studying in France here. For more information about learning French in France, click here.
    • Other Types of Visas: There are other ways to get into the country and stay there but I will be completely honest and admit that I didn't look into those since they didn't pertain to me. You can get a visa by marrying a French person or being a diplomat. In these cases, check out the consulate website for more information.
  3. Now that you know what visa you need, it's time to get your paperwork in order. And believe me, there is plenty of it to complete. Read the consulate website THOROUGHLY. Now read it again. Here is the list of documents I had to provide for my student visa and here is the link to the long form applications and here is the link to the immigration (OFII) forms that you also need to bring with you. The documents for the types of visas vary so make sure you're looking at the right list. Jason, for example, had to get his birth certificate translated and submit his bank routing information because he will actually be working a full time job in France. Be aware of this when putting together your documents.
    • Note: The DC consulate website also said that I needed to show proof of health insurance for the duration of my stay, so, like a good little American, I went out and got some. Cost me over $500 for four months and the consulate didn't even ask about it. Now, I don't know if they just missed it or forgot to ask or what but I certainly wish I had that $500 back if they weren't really going to require it. Just a heads up.
  4. Once you have assembled all the documents, make at least three copies of all of them, just in case. You should also organize everything in a binder or folder or some way that looks like you actually know what's going on. I know this may seem excessive, but they definitely look more favorably upon those who show up with their shit together.
  5. Make your visa appointment. I was required to have my plane ticket already purchased to prove that I was leaving the US within 90 days of being granted a visa. It takes 2-3 weeks to process your visa so you should book your flight for more than 3 weeks after your appointment but not more than 3 months after your appointment. Don't be like me and try to make things happen in a week and a half. It worked out, thankfully, but those were the 10 most stressful days of my life.
  6. Show up at the consulate. There is no visa-by-mail; you have to be there in person. Bring everything they told you to bring. Look presentable. You don't need a suit and tie or anything but maybe save the jeggings and hoodies for after your appointment. They do speak English, so don't worry if you don't know any French yet, but it doesn't hurt to greet them with a friendly Bonjour.
  7. After my initial appointment, they gave me my passport back and told me I would get a letter stating if my visa had been approved or not. I had to go back to the consulate to have my actual visa put in, about 8 days later. As I said, it usually takes about two to three weeks for all your visa paperwork to be processed so don't plan on going anywhere during those two to three weeks. Also, be prepared to make another trip to the consulte. This might be annoying for someone who lives a bit farther away than I did so brace yourself for it now.
    • Again, please recall that all of this information was for the process at the DC consulate. When I got my visa for Spain from the New York City consulate, I only had to appear once and they mailed my passport back to me with my visa in it. Not sure if this is a difference between France and Spain or between DC and NYC so just be ready for either option.
  8. If everything was in order and you don't have a record of terrorism, your visa was probably approved. Off to France with you!
Now that you're legally allowed to move to France, it's time to think about the logistics of your move. I found this link from HSBC to be incredibly helpful in planning my trip. Some thoughts of my own:

  • What are you going to do with your car? I am loaning mine to a friend while he helps me pay it off and by the time I get back to the US, I will have something to drive. I am blowing through a lot of my savings to make this trip happen so it will be much easier for me to have a car when I get back rather than trying to buy a new one when I don't have any money left. Don't forget about your insurance, too.
  • What are you going to do with your cell phone? Some carries can "unlock" your phone for international use and you just need to get a new SIM card and a new plan. I would NOT recommend trying to get an international plan for an American phone if you're going away for a long time. It's insanely expensive and just not worth it. It might not even work depending on your carrier. More on French cell phone plans at another time.
  • What are you going to do with your stuff? I moved out of my house and into Jason's this summer and that really helped me cut down on my property. I sold all of my IKEA furniture on Craigslist and brought only the essentials. I have a few plastic bins of stuff that I want when we come back from France and those are in storage at Jason's parents' place. You can ship things overseas if you want, but it is pretty pricey. I was lucky to find a furnished residence so I didn't have to worry about furniture. If you're moving forever, you may wish to sell what you currently have and invest in some new stuff abroad.
  • Have you set up a forwarding address for your mail? My stuff is being sent to my parents.
  • Who is your emergency contact in the US if everything falls apart while you're in France or you start an international incident and accidentally blow something up? Seriously. Bailing someone out of jail from across an ocean is not easy. You better have a real good friend back home...

Finally, a suggested packing list. I knew I was carrying everything I wanted to bring on my back so that really narrowed down the items I packed. I am making a trip home for the holidays, though, so I have a pile of "round two" items still at home in Baltimore.

  • Clothing: I try to blend in as much as possible when I travel so people won't harass me and the easiest way to do that is to dress like the locals. The French tend to dress up a bit more than Americans so leave your collection of grungy T-shirts at home with the holy sweatpants. Allow yourself a few of these items for kicking around the house or actually working out, but if this is your standard uniform in the US, you might want to upgrade before you leave home. Clothing is a bit more expensive in France and with your other costs of moving abroad, it might be worth it to get some items before you head out. The French also wear nice shoes all the time. Running shoes are for running, not for going out. Nice sneakers (like Pumas or Air Force Ones) are passable, especially amongst the younger crowd. Bring plenty of socks and undies. Depending on where you live in France and when you move, you may need warm outwear. Collapsable/fold up hampers are really handy for when your new duds get dingy!
  • Toiletries: They may not have your favorite body wash or shampoo in France. If you're really committed to a particular brand, stock up before you go. Bring a roll of toilet paper if you are moving into your own place right away. There's nothing worse than building up a full bladder after a day of traveling only to find out you have nothing to wipe your ass with. (I found out the hard way. Thank you, Kleenex pocket tissues!)
  • Linens: Equally miserable if you're moving into your new home right away is not having a place to rest your head on the first night. Bring sheets (even if they are the wrong size), a blanket and a pillow. You will thank me when you're not laying your head on a pile of sweaters. Bring a set of towels (2 bath, 2 hand, 2 washcloths) so you can wash away the grime of the plane when you get in.
  • Dishes/Cookware: I had planned to bring these things but they got bumped for cute shoes and I totally regret it. Even if it's just a couple crappy plastic cups and bowls, it's nice to have something to eat on that you can reuse. It was also emotionally draining to go without cookware and therefore a warm meal for 4 days (my place does not have a microwave), especially because I enjoy cooking. A pot, pan, chef's knife and cutting board go a long way. Don't forget the flatware.
  • Sentimental stuff from home: I am not usually one to get homesick because I travel a lot but there is a big difference between going away for a couple weeks and moving across an ocean to live in a completely different culture. You'll want something familiar for those days when you swear to GOD you will punch a BABY if you see one more baguette in a fucking BICYCLE BASKET. I have just a few things on the walls but they have really made my apartment feel that much more like a place I can call home.
  • Miscellaneous: Flashlight, plastic bags, battery powered alarm clock, a few office supplies (stapler, tape, scissors, writing utensils) headphones, a binder full of copies your important documents, a French-English dictionary/phrase book if you don't speak French, playing cards, corkscrew. This is wine country, my friend.
  • DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICS if at all possible. Seriously, it is just a pain in the ass to deal with adapters and converters and all that business. Just avoid the whole problem by leaving the electronics at home. I have my laptop (for which I had to get a new power cord because the converter shorted out my old one) and my American cell phone which I use exclusively as a digital camera and I charge it via USB on my laptop. That's it. If you want something else, especially like a flat iron or a hair dryer, it's best to get them here. I don't mess around with things that could electrocute me or burn my house down.
For more tips from another source, check out this blog that I found to be pretty helpful.

I hope I could offer some insight for those of you planning to make a move to France. It is a lot of work but so far, it has all been worth it. Good luck and happy travels!

Next time: My first days in France

No comments:

Post a Comment