Friday, March 1, 2013

It's All Coming Together

I finally got in touch with the woman that's handling the apartment I found for us. When I spoke to her on Tuesday, she told me she'd call me back and then never did. I finally called her myself today and she told me she had been waiting for me to hall her. Maybe I misunderstood her earlier in the week but either way, if I were a real-estate agent and there was an eager young couple trying to move into my property, I would be calling them every day to make sure they were still interested, just in case. But I digress.

I have a meeting with her on Monday to submit our file. It's going to be a busy day: I have class in the morning and then a test in the afternoon because I won't be there on Tuesday to take it with the rest of my class. Luckily I don't have to work, but it's going to take some coordination to get all the way from school out to Chartrons by 5:00. I also don't have any checks (they were extra and who even uses checks in France anymore? No one.) but apparently I can't just do a transfer for the deposit. I think I'm going to try and do some kind of money order or something but I'll have to ask when I see her since it's already the weekend now. There's a post office down the street so if it's all good, I can run down before  it closes and get it. Fingers crossed.

Also awesome: Made some homemade mayonnaise today and it was DELICIOUS. I don't even like mayonnaise and this was the truth. Tuna and cucumber sandwich on French bread? Yes, I will.

Less awesome: I went down to the school system central office today to submit my file and try to figure out what I could do to start working here and couldn't figure out how to get in the place. There seemed to be some kind of a door but it was gated and involved intercoms so I was intimidated and just left. Sack up, Nicole! And I looked so cute, too...

Not really awesome, but necessary: Submitted my birth certificate to be translated today and that means I'll be able to apply for Social Security! I will have insurance and I'll actually have a presence here. France doesn't know you if you're not in the system. I guess that's a good thing if you're running from the law, but not a good thing if you plan to live here for a while.

Awesome again: Going to have some beers with friends! Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment