Monday, December 17, 2012

A Sense of Belonging

Anyone who says "I don't care about fitting in" is not being completely honest. I'm not trying to say that everyone is a conformist and individuality is dead; our differences make us interesting and unique. The fact of the matter, though, is that being too different would defy sociology, psychology and biology. As humans, we actually do want to be like everyone else to a certain extent. Even people who actively work to be different from the mainstream society are part of a group: they create their own subculture in which they bond over how different they are from the rest of the world while being exactly like one another. Where you fit is not important, as long as you fit somewhere.

At every major stage in my life, I have had specific structures in place to help me integrate into the existing culture: There was always an orientation or a welcome event or some sort of formal introduction to the group. As a new member, I was always warmly welcomed and inevitably, someone took my under their wing to show me the ropes. Or, in times when I arrived with a large group of people who were equally new, we started the group culture from scratch on our own. Working together to form this new group united us quickly and easily. I guess it helps that I am pretty outgoing and sociable, but I have never had to try very hard to make friends.

Until now.

There was no orientation for me at school. When I showed up, the class had already been together for several months and even though I was told I could start my classes at any time, I immediately got the impression that I was behind. I barely got out "I'm Nicole and I'm from America," before we were already on to the day's lesson. No get to know you activities, no "welcome to Bordeaux", no nothing.

Even though my residence put on a small "pot d'accueil," it was clear that I was the only foreign student in the whole place. I met a few nice people, including two people that both speak pretty decent English, but I haven't seen them since. I don't really see anyone ever around here, actually...

It certainly hasn't been easy trying to break into French culture (or Chinese culture, for that matter) but I think this past weekend was a big step in feeling like I actually belong here.

Saturday started with a trip back to the Capucins market. Hunter and I had some shopping to do for the dinner we were planning to make that evening. I thought it was just going to be the two of us but he rolled up with Louis and Hongli, too. The more the merrier! We even went over to the Asian market down the street to get some special items for the meal. Oh yes.
Capucins market is filled with little stands like this. 

After shopping, we walked by the Église St. Michel, on our way to a kebab place. We got sandwiches to go and took them over to the quai for a little picnic lunch. It had been so rainy and cold the last couple of days, so we planned to take full advantage of the beautiful weather. There are very few things that make me quite as happy as sunny days and hanging out with friends next to a body of water. We finished our lunch and took our time making it back to Hunter's place, stopping to play in the water of the miroir and wishing some newlyweds felicitations as they took pictures.
Église St. Michel (Not Ste. Catherine or St. Pierre as the guys thought. No one wins the bet!)
Bridge at the Porte de Bourgogne

Friends! Hunter, Hongli, and Louis
The Miroir

Hunter, Hongli and Louis all live on the top floor of this beautiful old building downtown. While I don't think I could ever go back to sharing a bathroom or kitchen with random people, it's still a pretty cool place. We had some time to kill before it was time to start making dinner so I taught Hunter and Hongli to play rummy while Louis went off to study. It took a minute for all the rules to sink in, but once they did, we had a quite a little game going. I love watching a new skill click with someone. Teaching is in my soul...

Around 5pm, it was time to start cooking. All I knew was that we were having kung pao chicken. I was not expecting the epic Asian feast Hunter was planning. We made spring rolls from scratch, seasoned eggplant and beef, some kind of carrot and potato dish, pork with bell peppers and mushrooms, and spicy tofu. I was wondering how four of us were supposed to eat all this food when Hunter informed me that we were having more guests: Hao Cheng from class and his girlfriend Xuen Xuen were coming and so was another French guy named Brian. (Yes, a French guy named Brian. Go figure.)
Noms!
I made those spring rolls!

No one's room was big enough for all of us we we dragged the tables into the hall and made ourselves a dining room. Brian brought some beers and Hao Cheng brought two bottles of wine to accompany the meal. After eating until we wanted to die (and still having tons of left overs) we sat around and played a couple funny French drinking games. We laughed and joked and we all spoke a ton of French. It was starting to get late and Hao Cheng was driving so we decided to take a little walk on the quai to get some air.

It's lovely in the daytime but seeing the quai for the first time at night was truly breathtaking. It was still fairly warm outside and the sky was clear. We watched the seagulls in the river below bobbing along happily in the current and flying back upstream for another ride. I showed off my astronomy skills by pointing out a few constellations and explaining how to tell the difference between stars and planets in the night sky. (When did I learn this stuff? I couldn't remember...) We ran and skipped and sang and took in the beautiful evening.

At 1:30am, had to bid my friends adieu and I hopped on the train to go home, smiling the whole ride back. I couldn't have drawn up a more perfect day for myself if I tried. Shopping at a farmer's market, having lunch by the river, playing cards, having a couple drinks and a great meal with people from around the globe... It doesn't get any more ideal, if you ask me. We may not be your typical group of friends that you would see hanging out around Bordeaux but somehow, it works. And I'm in it.

I fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment